DB - Budget Policy
DB - Budget Policy
It is the policy of the Board to present to the voters a budget that is both responsive to the needs of the school system and fiscally responsible.
A. The Board shall, prior to December 1 of each fiscal year, hold a budget planning workshop the purpose of which is to:
- Consider items which Board members feel should be included in the new budget;
- Review current year’s finances and the Superintendent’s preliminary year end projection;
- Review Superintendent’s projections for the upcoming budget;
- Agree on budget parameters to be followed in developing the upcoming budget;
- Set a date for public input for consideration in budget development;
- Set a date and method for public presentation of the budget;
- Establish a date for the public referendum on the budget.
B. The Board shall instruct the Superintendent to develop a budget timeline that insures the budget development process is conducted in an orderly and deliberate manner so as to honor the dates established above.
D. The Superintendent shall prepare for the Board’s review and consideration a budget document that includes:
- A transmittal letter giving an overview of the budget, detailing significant budget issues, explaining the budget development process, and including other comments and information he/she deems appropriate;
- A summary of anticipated revenues and projected expenditures;
- Sufficient detail and supplemental information to allow the Board and the public to understand and appreciate the budget.
E. The Superintendent shall instruct the Directors of the Adult Education program and the School Lunch program to submit a budget for their respective operations, including a projection of revenues and expenditures, for inclusion in the district budget.
Legal Reference: Title 20-A Chapter 103, SubChapter 4
Policy Adopted: March 5, 1975
Policy Revised: October 3, 1979, December 3, 1986, October 15, 1997 and November 2, 2005