IJNDC-R - Website Guidelines - M.S.A.D. #35
IJNDC-R - Website Guidelines - M.S.A.D. #35
A. Website Purpose
The purpose of M.S.A.D. #35’s official website is to provide general information about the school system as well as information about educational programs, extracurricular activities, and school events. This website is intended to support the educational mission of the schools, to enhance the curriculum and learning opportunities for students and staff, and to inform the larger community about the schools.
B. Website Structure
The website may include the following content areas:
- System-wide information (such as Central Office, Technology, Transportation, Facilities, Food Service);
- School Board information (such as members, officers, committees, meeting agendas, minutes, and policies);
- School-wide information for each school;
- Individual department, grade level and/or classroom information (which may include student work and/or teacher-created work and resources);
- Information about school-sponsored extracurricular organization information;
- Information about school events and activities;
- Contact information for School Board members and school staff; and
- Any other material deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors or Superintendent.
C. M.S.A.D. #35 Authority and Webmaster Responsibilities
The District reserves the right to approve all website content and to edit, delete, or modify any web page content as it sees fit to comply with the intended purposes of the website and these guidelines.
The Superintendent shall designate a Webmaster, who shall be responsible for maintaining the school department’s website and monitoring all website activities for compliance with Board policies and established school guidelines, copyright laws, regulations, and these guidelines. Further, any material posted on the website shall not violate any other Federal or State laws. All materials to be posted on the site shall be approved by the building principal or his/her designee prior to being posted. This shall include approval of all school-sponsored links. Any links to other sites shall be school department related. Any person or organization producing a web page that utilizes M.S.A.D. #35 students, any M.S.A.D. #35 school names, or organizations, must comply with these regulations.
Only the Webmaster and other school staff authorized by the Webmaster shall have password-protected access to the web server to place and remove web pages and contents.
D. Website Content
- M.S.A.D. #35’s website does not create, nor is it intended to create, a public or limited public forum. All materials placed on the website must serve the educational mission of the school system.
- Website content is limited to school-sponsored information and activities. No personal student or staff web pages, chat rooms, or discussion groups are permitted on the website.
- Web page content must comply with Board policies, administrative procedures, and school rules.
- All materials placed on the website must meet academic standards for proper spelling, grammar, content, accuracy, and appearance.
If the Webmaster is unsure whether particular material is appropriate for the website, he/she shall consult with the Superintendent, whose decision shall be final.
E. Confidentiality of Student Information
- The website shall be in compliance with all applicable state and federal confidentiality laws and regulations.
- At no time shall personal information about students (such as home address, telephone number, email address, birth date, social security number, etc.) or any other information made confidential by state or federal law appear on the website. The website will not include any information that indicates the physical location of students at any given time, other than attendance at a particular school or participation in such activities.
F. Confidentiality of Staff Information
- At no time shall personal information about staff appear on the website (including home address, home telephone number, home email address, birth date, social security number, etc.)
- Because the M.S.A.D. #35 website is maintained in part to enhance communication with students and their families, the school email addresses and/or school telephone numbers of staff are published on the website.
- Appropriate permission will be obtained before any copyrighted or trademarked material is used on the website. No copyrighted material may be reproduced, transmitted, or stored on M.S.A.D. #35’s website without obtaining permission from the copyright owner.
- Students shall retain the copyright on materials that they create.
- An appropriate copyright notice will appear with all copyrighted material published on the website.
- Except for the above exceptions, all web pages and content on the website are the property of and owned by M.S.A.D. #35.
H. Website Design and Accessibility
The Webmaster is authorized to develop standards for the design and appearance of M.S.A.D. #35’s website. These standards will include measures to make web pages accessible to persons with disabilities. M.S.A.D. #35 information available on the website will also be made available to the public in alternative ways upon request.
The M.S.A.D. #35 website will not include any advertising, nor will it include any selling activities outside of publicity for school-sponsored and/or approved fundraising activities.
- The M.S.A.D. #35 website will not include links to any personal websites of students or staff.
- The website may include links only to websites that have demonstrated educational value to students, staff, and/or the community, as deemed appropriate by the Superintendent or his/her designee.
- The website shall include a disclaimer informing users that links are provided as a convenience, and that M.S.A.D. #35 does not endorse these sites or have any responsibility for the content of these sites.
K. Additional Requirements
- The website shall inform users about how to contact the Webmaster.
- Each web page shall include the date the page was last updated.
- The Webmaster will provide appropriate information to school users regarding technical requirements for publishing material on the website.
Cross References: IJNDC - M.S.A.D. #35 Website/Web Pages
IJNDC-E Guidelines to Publish Student Information on the MSAD #35 Website
GCSA/GCSA-R - Employee Computer and Internet Use/Rules
IJNDB/IJNDB-R - Student Computer and Internet Use/Rules
Policy Adopted: June 19, 2002
Policy Revised: June 7, 2006; February 1, 2012
Policy Reviewed: April 26, 2023